Re: Streaming replication status

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming replication status
Date: 2010-01-12 22:41:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Right, so what is the risk of shipping without any fancy monitoring?

You can monitor the code right now by watching the output shown in the
ps display and by trolling the database logs. If I had to I could build
a whole monitoring system out of those components, it would just be very
fragile. I'd rather see one or two very basic bits of internals exposed
beyond those to reduce that effort. I think it's a stretch to say that
request represents a design change; a couple of UDFs to expose some
internals is all I think it would take to dramatically drop the amount
of process/log scraping required here to support a SR system.

I guess the slightly more ambitious performance monitoring bits that
Simon was suggesting may cross the line as being too late to implement
now though (depends on how productive the people actually coding on this
are I guess), and certainly the ideas thrown out for implementing any
smart behavior or alerting when replication goes bad like Josh's
"archiving_lag_action" seem based the deadline to get addressed
now--even though I agree with the basic idea.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.com