Re: Streaming replication status

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming replication status
Date: 2010-01-12 22:37:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > The final commit-fest is in 5 days --- this is not the time for design
> > discussion and feature additions.
>
> +10 --- the one reason I can see for deciding to bounce SR is that there
> still seem to be design discussions going on. It is WAY TOO LATE for
> that folks. It's time to be thinking "what's the least we have to do to
> make this shippable?"

I've not asked to bounce SR, I am strongly in favour of it going in,
having been supporting the project on and off for 18 months.

There is not much sense being talked here. I have asked for sufficient
monitoring to allow us to manage it in production, which is IMHO the
minimum required to make it shippable. This is a point I have mentioned
over the course of many months, not a sudden additional thought.

If the majority thinks that being able to find out the current replay
point of recovery is all we need to manage replication then I will
happily defer to that view, without changing my opinion that we need
more. It should be clear that we didn't even have that before I raised
the point.

Overall, it isn't sensible or appropriate to oppose my viewpoint by
putting words into my mouth that have never been said, which applies to
most people's comments to me on this recent thread.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com