Re: Streaming replication status

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Streaming replication status
Date: 2010-01-12 22:47:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 17:41 -0500, Greg Smith wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Right, so what is the risk of shipping without any fancy monitoring?
> >

> You can monitor the code right now by watching the output shown in the
> ps display and by trolling the database logs. If I had to I could build
> a whole monitoring system out of those components, it would just be very
> fragile. I'd rather see one or two very basic bits of internals exposed
> beyond those to reduce that effort.

Considering that is pretty much the best we can do with log shipping, I
would have to agree. We should either provide real monitoring facilities
(not necessarily tools, but at least queries or an api) for the feature
or the feature isn't ready to go in.

> I think it's a stretch to say that
> request represents a design change; a couple of UDFs to expose some
> internals is all I think it would take to dramatically drop the amount
> of process/log scraping required here to support a SR system.

Bingo.

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL.org Major Contributor
Respect is earned, not gained through arbitrary and repetitive use or Mr. or Sir.