Re: display previous query string of idle-in-transaction

From: Tatsuhito Kasahara <kasahara(dot)tatsuhito(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: display previous query string of idle-in-transaction
Date: 2009-03-27 06:44:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:
>> If we can also check previous query_string of idle-in-transaction,
>> it is useful for analysis of long transaction problem.
>
> I'm more interested in the problem itself. Why do you think there is a
> problem and why does knowing this help you? I had similar problems
> recently, so I'm interested in thoughts around this.
In many case, applications don't know what queries they are doing.
So, if a long transaction problem (unworking defragmnetation by HOT and
VACUUM) occured, I don't understand which application is the cause with
only "<IDLE> in transaction" message.

But if I can also check last query string, I guess which apllication
do that and point out the problem point.
# As I said, I think a long transaction is not a problem itself.

Does that answer your question ?

Best regards,

--
Tatsuhito Kasahara
kasahara(dot)tatsuhito(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp