Re: [Proposal] Allow users to specify multiple tables in VACUUM commands

From: "Bossart, Nathan" <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Proposal] Allow users to specify multiple tables in VACUUM commands
Date: 2017-09-28 17:44:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 9/28/17, 12:20 AM, "Michael Paquier" <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 1:20 AM, Bossart, Nathan <bossartn(at)amazon(dot)com> wrote:
>>>
>>> It looks like the LOG statement is only emitted for autovacuum, so maybe
>>> we should keep this at WARNING for consistency with the permission checks
>>> below it.
>>
>> I've left this as-is for now. I considered emitting this statement as a
>> LOG for autovacuum, but I'm not sure there is terribly much value in
>> having autovacuum explain that it is skipping a relation because it was
>> concurrently dropped. Perhaps this is something we should emit at a
>> DEBUG level. What do you think?
>
> DEBUG would be fine as well for me. Now that your patch provides a
> RangeVar consistently for all code paths, the message could show up
> unconditionally.

Alright, I've added logging for autovacuum in v23. I ended up needing to
do a little restructuring to handle the case when the relation was skipped
because the lock could not be obtained. While doing so, I became
convinced that LOG was probably the right level for autovacuum logs.

Nathan

Attachment Content-Type Size
vacuum_multiple_tables_v23.patch application/octet-stream 30.9 KB