Re: Arrays of domains

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Arrays of domains
Date: 2017-09-28 17:11:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 08/11/2017 01:17 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Attached is a patch series that allows us to create arrays of domain
>> types.

> I've reviewed and tested the updated versions of these patches. The
> patches apply but there's an apparent typo in arrayfuncs.c -
> DatumGetAnyArray instead of DatumGetAnyArrayP

Thanks for reviewing! The DatumGetAnyArrayP thing is another artifact
of 4bd199465 --- sorry for missing that.

> Some of the line breaking in argument lists for some of the code
> affected by these patches is a bit bizarre. It hasn't been made worse by
> these patches but it hasn't been made better either. That's especially
> true of patch 1.

Yeah, perhaps. A lot of these argument lists are long enough that I'm
not especially thrilled with the idea of making them one-arg-per-line;
that seems like it would consume a lot of vertical space and make it
harder to see context in a finite-size window. I think there's been
some attempt at grouping the arguments into related groups on single
lines, though I concede it's probably not very obvious nor 100%
consistent.

> I wonder if we need to do any benchmarking to assure ourselves that the
> changes to ArrayCoerceExpr don't have a significant performance impact?

That would likely be a good idea, though I'm not very sure what or
how to benchmark.