Re: [Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] spreading the word on new PostgreSQL software appliance]

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Liraz Siri <liraz(at)turnkeylinux(dot)org>, jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Chander Ganesan <chander(at)otg-nc(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: [ANNOUNCE] spreading the word on new PostgreSQL software appliance]
Date: 2008-12-10 08:21:25
Lists: pgsql-www

Tom Lane wrote:
>> So, can you forward us the name & e-mail of a designated technical
>> contact at TurnKey?
>
> Liraz stated that they don't package PG themselves, just redistribute
> the Ubuntu package quasi-automatically. So they have no need to be on
> pgsql-packagers.

Just because they pull *security* updates automatically doesn't make
them fully synced with our releases. Not every minor release becomes a
security update in Ubuntu.

Also, I'd expect that a community-endorsed packaging also follows new
major releases. I don't know if we have that commitment here.

Perhaps there should be a second heading or category or page for
appliances, pre-integrated environments and live CDs, and they are
allowed to have a more relaxed release schedule.