Re: Column stores

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Luke Lonergan <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: Seth Grimes <grimes(at)altaplana(dot)com>, "pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Column stores
Date: 2008-02-02 07:18:10
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Luke Lonergan wrote:
>> ...column stores...
>
> WRT "all the rage" - you'd have to point to more than press releases about
> technology to make that case. We've beaten the "all the rage" companies in
> every POC so far and I haven't seen or heard of significant reference
> installations.

I thought KX System's KDB is a column-oriented database which
had impressive reference customers (Fidelity, BofA, JPMorgan, etc)
with their column store database since the early 90s.

But yeah - I'm curious why all the hype around new column oriented
databases when it seems people already determined what niche
applications they're great for quite some time ago.