Re: Column stores

From: Luke Lonergan <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: Seth Grimes <grimes(at)altaplana(dot)com>, "pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Column stores
Date: 2008-02-02 04:37:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi Seth,

On 2/1/08 11:41 AM, "Seth Grimes" <grimes(at)altaplana(dot)com> wrote:

> No, not all column stores are MPP. I believe that Brighthouse from
> Infobright isn't although the company is looking into it.

They're not one that I'd say is "all the rage" - two reasons: MySQL doesn't
work for DW queries and more importantly doing a different storage engine
doesn't solve the DW performance and scale problems.

WRT "all the rage" - you'd have to point to more than press releases about
technology to make that case. We've beaten the "all the rage" companies in
every POC so far and I haven't seen or heard of significant reference
installations.

> Compression and a columnar storage are separate things that can go
> hand-in-hand. Does Greenplum have both or just compression?

See above :-)

- Luke