Re: Column stores

From: Seth Grimes <grimes(at)altaplana(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Seth Grimes <grimes(at)altaplana(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Column stores
Date: 2008-02-02 12:36:05
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Isn't Kdb pretty much about queries on what I'll call "data vectors,"
whether streamed or stored, particularly time series? That is, you
wouldn't have complex queries that cross a lot of fields.

The hype around column stores is generated by the entry of industry
luminaries into the field, attracting venture money that funds high-priced
marketing talent and initiatives, substantiated by *likely* (even if not
yet proven) applicability of the technology to a much broader array of
business problems, given the data explosion, than was possible in the
past.

No, the approach is not yet established in the mainstream even if there
are notable successes for certain types of application. Most observers of
the data-warehousing world would say the same about open-source and
open-source-based DBMSes.

Clareos (Crosscut) was a more generalized column-store that failed but
then so did Great Bridge (not that GB targeted data warehousing). Past
failures don't mean that Vertica or Greenplum, for example, won't go on to
win broader-market success.

Seth