Re: XA Support for Postgres

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Håkan Jacobsson <hakan(dot)jacobsson(at)relevanttraffic(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: XA Support for Postgres
Date: 2008-01-07 16:06:00
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Håkan Jacobsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've posted earlier about this. I had problems connecting to the two postgresql databases our company system uses when migrating to JBoss 4.2.2.GA .
> Lots of exceptions about 'Generic JDBC connection can not be created' (something like that).
> I got a solution from a guy here at the mailing list. By using a JBoss database configuration file (postgres-ds.xml) with 'XA-support' we got rid of the exceptions.
> I've tried to search google to understand what this 'XA-support' really does, but I haven't found that much (other than an old thread 'XA-support for Postgres) dating back to 2005.
> Can someone point me to some good documentation for the XA-support for Postgres?

X/Open XA is a standard interface for performing two-phase commit across
different resource managers, like databases.

In Java-world, XA is mapped to the Java Transaction API (JTA). XA
support basically means that the driver comes with an implementation of
the javax.sql.XADataSource interface.

You need two-phase commit if you want to update two databases in a
single atomic transaction.

--
Heikki Linnakangas