Re: 8.2.3: Server crashes on Windows using Eclipse/Junit

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Laurent Duperval <lduperval(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2.3: Server crashes on Windows using Eclipse/Junit
Date: 2007-11-30 09:51:07
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Laurent Duperval wrote:
> Does this allow creating more connections? At some point, the discussion
> became too technical for me, and I no longer could tell if the answer was
> for developers of for users.

Yeah, it did become something of an investigation into the problem which
probably should have been moved to -hackers.

I summarised the info in the FAQ
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_windows.html#4.4 for user
consumption, and included a link to the MS Knowledgebase article that
shows what to tweak in the registry.

> I saw other messages dealing with semaphores/connection relations, etc.
> But unless I really did not understand the discussion, none of them seemed
> to address the issue I was seeing.

Yes, that was all about how we were using threads to manage interprocess
communications. We found a far more efficient way to do that, but my
guess is that thats not your problem.

> I'm thinking that the Java driver combined with Hibernate may be keeping
> handles open for too long, because my tests aren't supposed to maintain
> connections open for very long. I also would expect the connections to
> either be closed or released once the statements are executed.

That could be an issue with Hibernate or the other code you're running,
but yes, if it's opening lots of connections and keeping them open that
could be what's wrong and I would suggest checking the FAQ above.

Regards, Dave