Re: 8.2.3: Server crashes on Windows using Eclipse/Junit

From: Laurent Duperval <lduperval(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 8.2.3: Server crashes on Windows using Eclipse/Junit
Date: 2007-11-30 00:55:30
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is good netiquette, or not. I'm reviving a month-old
thread, because I'm trying to figure out how to resolve the issue.

To summarize: when I run unit tests with eclipse (and with Ant) on
Windows, at some point, I run out of available connections. I tried
increasing the maximum number of connections, but then I started seeing
the postgres server die and restart.

I'm trying to fix this, yet again, but I don't have a clear idea of what
to fix.

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 20:07:22 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Rainer Bauer wrote:
>> After increasing the session heap size in the registry from 512KB to 1024KB
>> the no. of connections was roughly doubled. So this might be a solution for
>> people running out of Desktop heap.
>>
>> Alter the value of the following key
>> <HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\SubSystems\Windows>
>>
>> The numeric values following "SharedSection=" control the heap management:
>> On WinXP these are the default values: "SharedSection=1024,3072,512"
>> Altering this to "SharedSection=1024,3072,1024" will increase the heap for all
>> non-interactive window stations to 1024KB.

Does this allow creating more connections? At some point, the discussion
became too technical for me, and I no longer could tell if the answer was
for developers of for users.

I saw other messages dealing with semaphores/connection relations, etc.
But unless I really did not understand the discussion, none of them seemed
to address the issue I was seeing.

I'm thinking that the Java driver combined with Hibernate may be keeping
handles open for too long, because my tests aren't supposed to maintain
connections open for very long. I also would expect the connections to
either be closed or released once the statements are executed.

> This part should go in the FAQ, I think. It's
valid for 8.2 as well,

--
Prenez la parole en public en étant Speak to an audience while being
moins nerveux et plus convaincant! less nervous and more convincing!

http://www.duperval.com (514) 902-0186