Re: Release Note Changes

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Release Note Changes
Date: 2007-11-30 09:49:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> If people understand there aren't 13 performance improvements there are
> at *least* 19+ that is a positive message to help people decide to
> upgrade.

Frankly I think the release notes are already too long. People who judge a
release by counting the number of items in the release notes are not worth
appeasing. Including every individual lock removed or code path optimized will
only obscure the important points on which people should be judging the
relevance of the release to them. Things like smoothing checkpoint i/o which
could be removing a show-stopper problem for them.

If they're mentioned at all a single release note bullet point saying "Many
optimizations and concurrency improvements in areas such as transaction start
and finish, checkpoint start, record visibility checking, merge join plans,
..." would suffice.

--
Gregory Stark