Re: Advocacy wiki

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, decibel(at)decibel(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Advocacy wiki
Date: 2007-07-25 15:48:53
Lists: pgsql-www

Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Greg Smith added to Cc:
>
> Dave Page wrote:
>> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>>> Doesn't that ring the bell that maybe techdocs is not as great as we
>>> think? If people are desperately looking at alternatives, that may mean
>>> something. What is it?
>> Afaik there are no outstanding bugs or feature requests with Techdocs -
>> however it does require moderation before docs are published. Perhaps thats
>> what people are trying to avoid?
>
> Maybe people don't _realize_ that techdocs is "a wiki", with on-line
> editability and all. Why else would be Greg Smith resisting moving his
> MySQL doc to it right away?

It's not a wiki though - it's designed for a single person to modify and
submit a document for inclusion once moderated. This is the case for
much of the techdocs content which may be presentations people have
produced, or howto's they've written during their daily work (perhaps
whilst figuring out a migration from another DBMS).

It's not suitable for collaborating while writing the document, but the
wiki is.

Greg has already said that once written, he intends to move the doc to
techdocs - that sounds like a fine plan to me.

Regards, Dave.