Re: Not ready for 8.3

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Not ready for 8.3
Date: 2007-05-17 12:16:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter wrote:

>> My main difficulty was figuring out a workable way to build a local mirror
>> of the code (so I could get off-line diffs), keep it in sync with the
>> development tree, while branching out working areas to evaluate patches or
>> do new development in. A good example walkthrough of how to do that using
>> standard tools would be a big help. Hint: if you suggest CVsup I'll
>> smack you.
>>

> Would you be interested in providing this meat? You're uniquely
> qualified because your shins still smart from all the things you
> barked them on :)

For this item at least the work has been done in showing how to set up a
local mirror using rsync instead of CVSup. It's mentioned in the dev
version of the docs at
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/rsync.html - although
frankly it would be better to import the information rather than just
refer to the buildfarm HOWTO.

cheers

andredw