Re: Proposal: allow installation of any contrib module

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, nikolay(at)samokhvalov(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: allow installation of any contrib module
Date: 2007-01-25 17:06:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> The problem with this proposal is that the ISPs aren't the ones running
>> configure --- these days, most people are running prebuilt packages
>> (RPMs or DEBs or what have you). So what you are hoping is that the
>> packagers will choose to do this and thereby force these modules into
>> the "standard" configuration for everybody using their packages. I'm
>> not sure that the packagers will change ... well maybe Gentoo will,
>> but not anyone with more conservative policies ... and I'm pretty sure
>> any who do will get push-back from people who still won't trust contrib.
>
> Well perhaps it is time to trim Contrib even further. E.g;
>
> Why is ltree still in contrib? What prevents it from being in core?

not sure - ltree is quite useful but I'm not convinced it is really core
material

> Why is pgcrypto,pgstattuple and pg_freespacemap in contrib?

I would like to see pgcrypto (or at least some of it's functionality) in
core.
pgstattuple is still being quite activily developed (just look at the
large changes/feature enhancements for 8.2 which seems like a sign of it
not being ready yet.
pg_freespacemap is iirc new as of 8.2 so it imho never was a candidate
for core.

Stefan