Re: Proposal: allow installation of any contrib module

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, nikolay(at)samokhvalov(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal: allow installation of any contrib module
Date: 2007-01-25 17:24:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Well perhaps it is time to trim Contrib even further. E.g;
>>
>> Why is ltree still in contrib? What prevents it from being in core?
>
> not sure - ltree is quite useful but I'm not convinced it is really core
> material

Why?

>> Why is pgcrypto,pgstattuple and pg_freespacemap in contrib?
>
> I would like to see pgcrypto (or at least some of it's functionality) in
> core.
> pgstattuple is still being quite activily developed (just look at the
> large changes/feature enhancements for 8.2 which seems like a sign of it
> not being ready yet.

Is PostgreSQL not under active development? Is it not receiving large
changes or feature enhancements?

> pg_freespacemap is iirc new as of 8.2 so it imho never was a candidate
> for core.

I think you are missing my point. I only picked contribs that seemed
logical to be in core. The point of the post was the discussion, not the
particular module.

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/