Re: Wordpress & PostgreSQL ...

From: Peter Wilson <petew(at)yellowhawk(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wordpress & PostgreSQL ...
Date: 2006-10-29 23:11:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Dawid Kuroczko wrote:
> On 10/26/06, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> wrote:
>> the wordpress guys have basically said they do not want to support
>> postgres,
>> which is mainly why we swapped to s9y on planetpg. you can read some
>> more
>> info here:
>> http://people.planetpostgresql.org/xzilla/index.php?/archives/13-One-Good-Port.html
>>

> Suppose one would like to create a WordPress workalike, i.e. a blogging
> engine sharing look&feel of WordPress but written from scratch. What
> language/framework do you think would be the best?
>
> I mean -- one could code that in PHP and simply use PostgreSQL, but
> PHP is probably the most popular language, but I don't think it's the
> best.
>
> Ruby on Rails perhaps? I have not written a single line in Ruby, but
> I've read on the list here that it has very good PostgreSQL interface...
>
> Python? Perl? Something different?
>
> The reason I'm asking this question is that I would like to hear personal
> experiences with alternative to PHP environments, how do they "feel",
> how do they scale, in order to boost my knowledge a bit.
If you want a mature alternative to PHP then take a look at Whitebeam
(http://www.whitebeam.org). This uses the Mozilla 'Spidermonkey'
JavaScript engine for server-side JS and uses Postgres as the back-end
database. At the moment it doesn't interface with any other databases -
but then not really much of a need :-)

I've used Whitebeam for my own blogging software as well other
communications functions (newsletters, discussion forums, e-zines,
e-commerce and I know others that have used the Postgres Interface for
some equally sophisticated applications. Take a look at
http://www.gadgetspeak.com as an example of what's possible. That latest
release of Spidermonkey even gives you a native 'XML' type so you can do
things like:

Brilliant for putting together things like RSS feeds and for
implementing the SOAP/ XML-RPC blogging APIs

Pete
> Regards,
> Dawid

Peter Wilson
T: 01414 160505
M: 07796 656566
http://www.yellowhawk.co.uk The information in this email is
confidential and is intended for the addressee/s only. Access to this
email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended
recipient, you must not read, use or disseminate the information
contained in or attached to this email.