Re: GIN index creation extremely slow ?

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GIN index creation extremely slow ?
Date: 2006-06-27 19:13:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Teodor Sigaev wrote:
>> test=# CREATE INDEX idxFTI_idx ON wikipedia USING gist(vector);
>> CREATE INDEX
>> Time: 416122.896 ms
>>
>> so about 7 minutes - sounds very reasonable
>>
>> test=# CREATE INDEX idxFTI2_idx ON wikipedia USING gin(vector);
>> CREATE INDEX
>> Time: 52681605.101 ms
>
> I'll look at this, but GiST time creation is suspiciously small.
> Can you test on smaller table, for example with 100000 records and if
> results are repeat, pls, send to me test suite...

I won't have access to the original testcase and server for a few days
but I just redid some testing on a slower personal box of mine with a
smaller(but similiar) testset and on that box I could not reproduce that
issue.
So the problem is either caused by the size of the table or somehow by
the data itself :-(

Stefan