Re: GIN index creation extremely slow ?

From: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
To: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GIN index creation extremely slow ?
Date: 2006-06-28 09:09:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I won't have access to the original testcase and server for a few days
> but I just redid some testing on a slower personal box of mine with a
> smaller(but similiar) testset and on that box I could not reproduce that
> issue.
> So the problem is either caused by the size of the table or somehow by
> the data itself :-(

We tested gin with 5 millions records (but not a wikipedia's text, but with blog
records which is usually mush shorter) and index creation time was near 8 hours
on Dual Xeon 3.2, but we didn't try GiST. In other hand, creating GiST index on
0.5 millions emails took about 12 hours.

That's why 7 minutes is very suspicious result.

WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/