Re: Infrastructure monitoring

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Guido Barosio <gbarosio(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, John Hansen <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Infrastructure monitoring
Date: 2006-01-14 20:59:34
Lists: pgsql-www

Hello,

I believe the biggest issue is not the monitoring but the fact
that these machines are not managed.

All due respect to John (I believe he does the search) but if he
is often on the road for 12 hours then someone else needs
to be hosting those machines.

The machines need to be hosted by companies that manage
servers. There are several in the PostgreSQL community and
yes CMD is one of them.

I am not trying to take any kudos from anyone or suggest that
they are not doing a bang up job. I am saying that all of the
communities machines should be managed.

Outside of a hardware failure there is zero reason for these
machines to have extended outages unless scheduled.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/