Re: Infrastructure monitoring

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Guido Barosio <gbarosio(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, John Hansen <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>, <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Infrastructure monitoring
Date: 2006-01-14 21:11:19
Lists: pgsql-www

On 14/1/06 20:59, "Joshua D. Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I believe the biggest issue is not the monitoring but the fact
> that these machines are not managed.
>
> All due respect to John (I believe he does the search) but if he
> is often on the road for 12 hours then someone else needs
> to be hosting those machines.
>
> The machines need to be hosted by companies that manage
> servers. There are several in the PostgreSQL community and
> yes CMD is one of them.
>
> I am not trying to take any kudos from anyone or suggest that
> they are not doing a bang up job. I am saying that all of the
> communities machines should be managed.
>
> Outside of a hardware failure there is zero reason for these
> machines to have extended outages unless scheduled.

Well john has told me in the past he'd be happy to move the search to more
suitable servers. It's a big database handling a high volume of queries
though so a shared or old machine simply won't do.

I don't know how ASPseek will run on modern hardware, but the
far-less-efficient Mnogosearch became a gibbering wreck on a dual 3GHz Xeon
with 4GB RAM and what iirc was a 147GB RAID1 array.

Do you think Command Prompt might be able to help in this case? John can
give a better idea of the actual requirements of course - the only other
oddity that I can recall is that ASPSeek must be compiled with gcc 2.95 due
to some changes in the hashing functions in the STL in later versions which
cause index bloat.

Regards, Dave.