Re: tests against running server occasionally fail, postgres_fdw & tenk1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <fujii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tests against running server occasionally fail, postgres_fdw & tenk1
Date: 2023-02-26 20:57:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Hm, yea, that should work. It's indeed the entirety of the diff
> https://api.cirrus-ci.com/v1/artifact/task/4718859714822144/testrun/build/testrun/postgres_fdw-running/regress/regression.diffs

> If we go that way we can remove the debug_discard muckery as well, I think?

Okay, so that seems to work for the "reestablish new connection" test:
as coded here, it passes with or without debug_discard_caches enabled,
and I believe it's testing what it intends to either way. So that's
good.

However, the other stanza with debug_discard_caches muckery is the
one about "test postgres_fdw.application_name GUC", and in that case
ignoring the number of terminated connections would destroy the
point of the test entirely; because without that, you're proving
nothing about what the remote's application_name actually looks like.

I'm inclined to think we should indeed just nuke that test. It's
overcomplicated and it expends a lot of test cycles on a pretty
marginal feature.

So I propose the attached.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
remove-instability-in-postgres_fdw-tests.patch text/x-diff 10.0 KB