Re: tests against running server occasionally fail, postgres_fdw & tenk1

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <fujii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tests against running server occasionally fail, postgres_fdw & tenk1
Date: 2023-02-26 21:09:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2023-02-26 15:57:01 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> However, the other stanza with debug_discard_caches muckery is the
> one about "test postgres_fdw.application_name GUC", and in that case
> ignoring the number of terminated connections would destroy the
> point of the test entirely; because without that, you're proving
> nothing about what the remote's application_name actually looks like.
>
> I'm inclined to think we should indeed just nuke that test. It's
> overcomplicated and it expends a lot of test cycles on a pretty
> marginal feature.

It does seem fairly complicated...

*If* we wanted to rescue it, we probably could just use a transaction around
the SELECT and the termination, which ought to prevent sinval issues.

Not that I understand why that tries to terminate connections, instead of just
looking at application name.

Greetings,

Andres Freund