Re: Embedding Postgres in Java Application

From: Jasper Potts <jasper(at)jasperpotts(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Embedding Postgres in Java Application
Date: 2005-01-16 20:48:05
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

John R Pierce wrote:

> I'd suggest your windows installer install postgres as a system
> service by cloning the operation of the standard windows installer for
> pgsql, and you use localhost for your database connections. If
> you're using a java installer that doesn't understand windows
> services, maybe you could put it in a MSI (Microsoft Installer)
> wrapper that invokes both Postgres's MSI based installation and your
> java installer.

I think thats probably the way to go, at least for the Win 2000/XP
users. Any idea if Postgres 8 will work with Win 98/Me? My guess is not
from what I have seen, talk about NTFS dependencies on the general
mailing list. So will probably go for Hypersonic for those guys, as its
simple and copes well if you don't push the database too large.

Is the src for the Postgres installer available? to use as a starting point.

Thanks

Jasper