Re: Embedding Postgres in Java Application

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: Jasper Potts <jasper(at)squarepark(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Embedding Postgres in Java Application
Date: 2005-01-16 19:39:36
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Jasper Potts wrote:
> I am developing a desktop GUI application and am using postgres 8. I
> need to be able to embed/bundle postgres with my application. To start
> with I am releasing on windows with Linux and OSX later.
>
> Is there a way of creating a JDBC connection to the db not over a
> network socket?

not only does JDBC not support unix sockets, neither does Windows.

> The other way is going to be to start/stop the database from Java by
> calling "pg_ctl start/stop". But that issues with this because of the
> windows restrictions that postgres can't be run as a user with admin
> privileges. Any Ideas?

I'd suggest your windows installer install postgres as a system service by
cloning the operation of the standard windows installer for pgsql, and you use
localhost for your database connections. If you're using a java installer
that doesn't understand windows services, maybe you could put it in a MSI
(Microsoft Installer) wrapper that invokes both Postgres's MSI based
installation and your java installer.