Re: CVS should die

From: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Subject: Re: CVS should die
Date: 2004-11-04 22:54:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Neil Conway wrote:
> [CC list trimmed]
>
> On Fri, 2004-11-05 at 06:41, Tom Lane wrote:
>
>>(I'm rather interested to know whether any other SCMs have a better
>>solution to this problem, and if so what it is. It's not obvious how
>>to do better.)
>

> Sure -- just about every "next generation" OSS version control tool gets
> this right, or at least does a lot better than CVS -- i.e. svn,
> monotone, arch, darchs, and possibly others I haven't heard of.
>
> Gavin and I have been using Monotone for a few weeks now to manage some
> development we're doing. I've been really impressed with it --
> conceptually, it just "makes sense". Unfortunately the implementation is
> currently too immature to consider moving the main development tree
> onto, at least for the moment.

In SVN there is no concept of Branch, Label and so on, all these operations
are performed by "copy" if you want LABEL your source is enough create a
directory and copy all the source in that directory.
In order to emulate the way to work of CVS is enough follow these guidelines:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/HAUS/How+to+Organize+a+Subversion+Repository

We are migrating from Clearcase to SVN and the only think we are going
to miss is the UCM process.

Regards
Gaetano Mendola