Re: Edit query buffer

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Wood, Bruce" <Bruce(dot)Wood(at)ngc(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres Win32 <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Edit query buffer
Date: 2004-11-04 22:24:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32 pgsql-patches

OK, it turns out there were multiple problems with psql \e and \!
related to quoting and the use of Win32 API functions. That attached
patch fixes both of these, and uses stat() under Win32, but not
WIN32_CLIENT_ONLY.

Wood, Bruce wrote:
> I'm not sure if this goes here or to bugs, but it seems obvious
> (to me) that if this problem existed elsewhere, it would have
> been brought up by now.
>
> In the first version of the beta native Windows release, if I
> try to edit the query buffer using the \e command, psql crashes
> spectacularly. The error is "The instruction at "0x00422078"
> referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be
> "read"." If I connect from a client machine to the database
> server and attempt the same thing, psql crashes less spectacularly.
> It just dies without a whimper. Yes, I have PSQL_EDITOR set to
> notepad and if I use \e filename, it attempts to open "filename".
> If it exists, it opens. If it doesn't exist, it asks to create
> it. If it's any help, when the debugger opens, it says "Unhandled
> exception in psql.exe: 0xC0000005: Access Violation." Selecting
> OK, the debugger is sitting on this line:
>
> 00422078 mov al,byte ptr [ecx]
>
> if that means anything.
>
> Stepping forward to the present, attempting the same \e in the
> beta 4 release of psql, it gripes "could not open temporary file
> ".\psq48F.tmp": File exists". At least now psql doesn't crash,
> taking the DOS window with it (if you launched psql from the
> menu).
>
> Coming from an Oracle environment, I kind of like being able to
> edit the buffer because I don't type very well.

> TIP 9: the planner will ignore your desire to choose an index
> scan if your

Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size
unknown_filename text/plain 5.7 KB