Persistent Connects (pg_pconnect)

From: Colleen Williams <colleen(at)digital-arts(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Persistent Connects (pg_pconnect)
Date: 2000-11-21 12:34:19
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hello all,

I am having some problems with persistent connections.

The PHP scripts in my content management system (CMS) are connecting using
pg_pconnect(" dbname='MYDB' user='user' password='password''
port='5432' "). I have not been able to connect to the PostgreSQL database
when I include the host parameter in the pg_pconnect string and I don't
understand why. Each time one of us uses the CMS, a new persistent
connection process owned by postgres is started up. With 3 people accessing
the CMS sporadically, 32 persistent connections are in existence and then
Linux tells me there are too many connections! Sometimes I believe
existing connections are reused but not often!

Has anyone else had this sort of experience with persistent connections? It
is driving me mad so I would appreciate any help or pointers you might have.

Thanks,
Colleen.

Colleen Williams
colleen(at)digital-arts(dot)co(dot)uk

0207 484 8825

Digital Arts | British Columbia House | 1 Regent Street | London | SW1Y 4NR
http://www.digital-arts.co.uk