Re: Comparing databases

From: Jussi Mikkola <jussi(dot)mikkola(at)bonware(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Comparing databases
Date: 2003-11-12 13:23:04
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

I would ask Bruce Momjian or Tom Lane about the version 8.0. When is it
coming, and what new features they think are in it. Then quote that.

That tells the reader indirectly, that there is a new version, a new
major release coming somewhere in the future. It also makes you think
that the one answering is going to take part in that developement.
(Although if they would not take part in it, it is not said that they
will do so.)

If these people are planning future releases, then it tells you there is
a future. They believe in the product, and trust in it. Since they are
deeply involved, they know what is happening there, and they propably
know best. If they know, and they trust, why would you not trust?

Then we could interview some companies, who use PostgreSQL, and let them
tell about support they have needed, and what they have received.

Although I am not sure, if I would say anything about support. I think
it is an issue that people have talked for ages about open source and
support. If we keep talking about it, does it mean that it is now
solved, or does it mean, that there is an issue? Maybe, if we don't talk
about it, people think it is not important? Or they forget, that there
was an issue about support.

I think it is a bit like when you are buying a car. For normal people,
that is a big investment, and people study carefully the features of the
car. Usually the salesman is not talking much of repair shops, because
that would make the buyer think that there are often problems with this
car. However, the buyer knows that if something goes broken, he can take
the car and get it fixed. What car is it then that she will choose? The
one with the nice colour.

Rgs,

Jussi