Re: Slashdot: SAP and MySQL Join Forces

From: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc(at)mega-bucks(dot)co(dot)jp>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slashdot: SAP and MySQL Join Forces
Date: 2003-05-27 02:39:56
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

PeterKorman wrote:

> I like postgresql better, but an amazon search produces 52 titles
> for mysql. Only 11 come back for postgresql. Some cause/effect
> relation exists between available publications and public appeal.
> That relation favors mysql by more than a furlong. Go figure.

I definitely have to agree with this. There were tow reason I first
chose MySQL over Postgres:

1- I was interested in setting up DB backed web site and everyone was
talking about LAMP (Linux + Apache + *MySQL* + PHP) I never heard the
mention of Postgres on any of the PHP mailing lists or web sites.

2- I didn't know anything about DBs (I've only slightly improved ;) and
*knew* I would need a book or three. Amazon had load of MySQL books but
not many Postgres ones, and the few Postgres books that *did* exist did
not seem all that appealing.

The reason I did finally switch over to Postgres was that after trying
out MySQL I found out that it couldn't do what I wanted. I read up again
on Postgres, found out that *it* could do what I wanted and have never
regretted dumping MySQL (it only took me a few weeks to realize it
wasn't what I wanted/needed).

But the lack of books was sorely felt ... Thank goodness this mailing
list exists and people are genuinely friendly and helpful.

In conclusion, more books please, and instead of LAMP let get the word
out about LAPP/LAPoP/LAPgP ;)

--

Jean-Christian Imbeault