Re: Slashdot: SAP and MySQL Join Forces

From: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
To: Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc(at)mega-bucks(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slashdot: SAP and MySQL Join Forces
Date: 2003-05-27 13:29:16
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

On Tue, May 27, 2003 at 11:39:56 +0900,
Jean-Christian Imbeault <jc(at)mega-bucks(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:

> But the lack of books was sorely felt ... Thank goodness this mailing
> list exists and people are genuinely friendly and helpful.
>
> In conclusion, more books please, and instead of LAMP let get the word
> out about LAPP/LAPoP/LAPgP ;)

I really don't see this. Having lots of books doesn't help if they don't
add new information. In fact having more books can be worse because it
may be harder to find a few good books in a sea of bad ones.

And what people really need are books on SQL and relation database theory
which may not have a particular database name associated with them.
In additional they will need books that describes administering the
database they are interested in and a reference manual for the commands
and clients.

The included documentation for Postgres does a reasonable (but not great)
job of covering administering the database. The command refernce part
of the documentation is good. I am not so sure about how easy it is
to get started as it has been a couple of years since I first started
playing with it. I don't remember a quick start guide existing. But with
the shared memory default tweaked, you are less likely to have immediate
problems with shared memory after a default install. You still need to
find out about vacuum/analyze somehow. The correct way is probably to
read the whole manual, but that may put some people off.