Re: Slashdot: SAP and MySQL Join Forces

From: PeterKorman <calvin-pgsql-ml(at)eigenvision(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slashdot: SAP and MySQL Join Forces
Date: 2003-05-26 17:52:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 08:12:32PM +1000, Wayne Armstrong wrote:

> MySql wasn't enough of a dbms to support our requirements (or that of our
> clients). SapDb just looked extremely unusual (more effort in the port :).
>
> We have been very pleased with the port to Postgres, and with our clients
> eager acceptance of it.
>
> It tends to peeve me that MySql gets its name mentioned in more rags as /the/
> example of an open source competitor to the commercials. I guess it goes to
> show just how many folk really are using their "database" as a simple
> persistence mechanism for fairly trivial apps, or are willing to live with data
> inconsistency in their data store.

I like postgresql better, but an amazon search produces 52 titles
for mysql. Only 11 come back for postgresql. Some cause/effect
relation exists between available publications and public appeal.
That relation favors mysql by more than a furlong. Go figure.

Maybe SAP likes MySql because Sun and IBM are bad mouthing it;-)
I'm sure DB2 strategists have no influence over IBM's public
statements about other data base products. Aren't you?-)

JPK