Re: RAID stripe size question

From: "Luke Lonergan" <LLonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Alex Turner" <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Ron Peacetree" <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net>, "Mikael Carneholm" <Mikael(dot)Carneholm(at)wirelesscar(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RAID stripe size question
Date: 2006-08-03 04:51:06
Lists: pgsql-performance

Merlin,

> moving a gigabyte around/sec on the server, attached or no,
> is pretty heavy lifting on x86 hardware.

Maybe so, but we're doing 2GB/s plus on Sun/Thumper with software RAID
and 36 disks and 1GB/s on a HW RAID with 16 disks, all SATA.

WRT seek performance, we're doing 2500 seeks per second on the
Sun/Thumper on 36 disks. You might do better with 15K RPM disks and
great controllers, but I haven't seen it reported yet.

BTW - I'm curious about the HP P600 SAS host based RAID controller - it
has very good specs, but is the Linux driver solid?

- Luke