Re: Performances with new Intel Core* processors

From: "Denis Lussier" <denisl(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Florian Weimer" <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
Cc: "Arjen van der Meijden" <acmmailing(at)tweakers(dot)net>, "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Jonathan Ballet" <jon(at)multani(dot)info>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performances with new Intel Core* processors
Date: 2006-08-03 05:08:52
Lists: pgsql-performance

My theory, based entirely on what I have read in this thread, is that a low
end server (really a small workstation) with an Intel Dual Core CPU is
likely an excellent PG choice for the lowest end.

I'll try to snag an Intel Dual Core workstation in the near future and
report back DBT2 scores comparing it to a similarly equiped 1 socket AMD
dual core workstation. I'll keep the data size small to fit entirely in
RAM so the DBT2 isn't it's usual disk bound dog when you run it the "right"
way (according to tpc-c guidelines).

--Denis
Dweeb from EnterpriseDB