Re: RAID stripe size question

From: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Alex Turner" <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Ron Peacetree" <rjpeace(at)earthlink(dot)net>, "Mikael Carneholm" <Mikael(dot)Carneholm(at)wirelesscar(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: RAID stripe size question
Date: 2006-08-03 04:46:41
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 7/18/06, Alex Turner <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Remember when it comes to OLTP, massive serial throughput is not gonna help
> you, it's low seek times, which is why people still buy 15k RPM drives, and
> why you don't necessarily need a honking SAS/SATA controller which can
> harness the full 1066MB/sec of your PCI-X bus, or more for PCIe. Of course,

hm. i'm starting to look seriously at SAS to take things to the next
level. it's really not all that expensive, cheaper than scsi even,
and you can mix/match sata/sas drives in the better enclosures. the
real wild card here is the raid controller. i still think raptors are
the best bang for the buck and SAS gives me everything i like about
sata and scsi in one package.

moving a gigabyte around/sec on the server, attached or no, is pretty
heavy lifting on x86 hardware.

merlin