Re: Have a PG 7.3.1 Windows (cygwin) easy installer... now

From: mlw <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
To: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Have a PG 7.3.1 Windows (cygwin) easy installer... now
Date: 2003-01-26 14:47:34
Lists: pgsql-cygwin pgsql-hackers

I thought I sent off an email about how to do it, OK here goes:

Create a working minimal cygwin with postgres install.
Delete unwanted utilities and files.
Test if you can start, stop, initdb, and query Postgres.
Use the attached pgsql.iss script to make the install.

Notes:
My version of the console program may be different than what is up on
winmaster. I sent all my changes to Igor, but I have never been able to
compile what he sends back. I'm not sure what compiler he is using, I am
building mine with gcc and MSVC.

The registry entries are very important, make sure you don't mess with
them too much.

You asked how I managed the "run as service" issue. I handled it by
ignoring it. I do not setup the run as service option because, IMHO, it
is too hard to ensure that the setup works without any problems. I
modified the console program to take care of the issues of running
PostgreSQL under cygwin, including cygipc. If I were to add "run as a
service" I would write a service program that wrapped the cygwin and
cygipc details in much the same way as the console program does.

Further thoughts about "run as service." My install is aimed at Windows
power users, not back office guys. PostgreSQL with cygwin is not ready
for the back office, the biggest problems are the limit of concurrent
connections and performance. I don't trust cygwin as a reliable service,
so adding the option "run as a service" may just encourage them to do
so. I think that would do more harm than not having the option. When
PostgreSQL has a native Windows version, I'll add it. Until then, I
think of it more as a "desktop" version for small offices and
developers. The "server" version currently only runs on UNIX

Justin Clift wrote:

> mlw wrote:
>
>> Sorry, I think there was a misunderstanding. What were you looking for?
>

> Sorry Mark, I just thought you were busy.
>
> Was wondering if you were going to make a project of it somewhere, so
> we can get things together and have a really decent release for
> Windows when 7.4 comes out. :)
>
>> I used inno setup as well. If you want I can send my install script.
>

> That would be really cool. :)
>
> How did you handle the user and "Log on as a service" aspects of it?
>
> :)
>
>> I thought I was being very forth coming.
>

> Yep, you 100% have a really good attitude, that's why I thought you
> were busy.
>
> :)
>
>> I even help out on the Windows PG console window.
>

> Took a look at it, and the three buttons seem permanently greyed out
> in the download from the WinMaster project. Wasn't sure if it was a
> configuration issue on my part, or if the code hadn't been fleshed out
> yet.
>
> Interested in making a project on GBorg or something for the "complete
> Windows installer" as a place to work out of?
>
> :-)
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift

Attachment Content-Type Size