Re: Elocution

From: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)refractions(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Elocution
Date: 2002-12-10 05:01:58
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Gavin Sherry wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
<snip>
>>We should think of MySQL as expanding our market.

We might want to be wary of counting on MySQL continuing to funnel
people our way into the future. Ever since they started to become
"financially successful" (from what I can tell) they've been far less
inclined to play fair in the Open Source Community. Can't count how
many times I've asked them privately and publically to update their
pages on the main MySQL site in relation to PostgreSQL. Think the only
way *that* is going to happen is with legal assistance. :-(

As they continue to receive funding, they would have to be introducing
ways of adding features (even if badly integrated) to stop people having
to look elsewhere.

:-/

> Right. Its always better to be the underdog, as it were. Besides,
> Sleepycat DB is *by far* the most successful open source database (in
> fact, it is the most widely deployed database).
>
> Once you start comparing PostgreSQL and MySQL you miss the point. We want
> to push PostgreSQL for what its good at. We will find far more success
> that way.

Yep. Let's aim to gain acceptance from the enterprise (and
governmental) database markets as an effective replacement for many of
their present and future deployments.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift