Re: Elocution

From: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)refractions(dot)net>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Elocution
Date: 2002-12-10 05:16:18
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Justin Clift wrote:

> Gavin Sherry wrote:
> > On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> <snip>
> >>We should think of MySQL as expanding our market.
> >

> We might want to be wary of counting on MySQL continuing to funnel
> people our way into the future. Ever since they started to become
> "financially successful" (from what I can tell) they've been far less
> inclined to play fair in the Open Source Community. Can't count how

That is not true IMHO. As I detailed in another email, I meet up with
MySQL AB people regularly -- Zak Graent, David Axmark, Georg Richter. They
are great guys. Zak in particular does a lot for open source and open
source databases including organising of database forums at OS conferences
and work in the community to enable open source databases work better
together (see my email on advocacy).

> many times I've asked them privately and publically to update their
> pages on the main MySQL site in relation to PostgreSQL. Think the only
> way *that* is going to happen is with legal assistance. :-(

That is way too big a call. Justin: stop worrying about this kind of
thing! Compare their Web site, which *merely* compares MySQL to an old
version of Postgres, to the advocacy Web site which makes *many* dubious
claims about Postgres (see my email on advocacy).

> As they continue to receive funding, they would have to be introducing
> ways of adding features (even if badly integrated) to stop people having
> to look elsewhere.

Stupidest thing I've heard today. Are you seriously suggesting that
MySQL's addition of features based on user requirement is any different
than what happens over here?

I'm all for enthusiasm, but not this kind.

Gavin