Re: make check-world output

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make check-world output
Date: 2017-03-11 16:14:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> What about just reverting 2f227656076a?

> That works for me too, if we think we no longer need that level of
> detail.

A general issue with this sort of messaging is that when things are
working more or less normally, you'd just as soon not see it ... but
when you need to debug problems with the test scaffolding itself,
you want verbosity.

For the basic build process, we've largely solved that through the
use of "make -s". But we don't really have a comparable "be quiet"
option for test runs, especially not the TAP tests. Maybe we need
to think a bit more globally about what it is we're trying to
accomplish. I could definitely see that "set -x" in pg_upgrade's
test.sh might be useful as part of a verbose testing option; what
it lacks is a way to turn it off.

An entirely different big-picture point is "what the heck are we
doing using a shell script here at all? It is useless for testing
on Windows". Somebody should look into rewriting it in Perl,
perhaps using the facilities of PostgresNode.pm.