Re: make check-world output

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: make check-world output
Date: 2017-04-01 07:28:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017 at 11:14:36AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> > Tom Lane wrote:
> >> What about just reverting 2f227656076a?
>
> > That works for me too, if we think we no longer need that level of
> > detail.
>
> A general issue with this sort of messaging is that when things are
> working more or less normally, you'd just as soon not see it ... but
> when you need to debug problems with the test scaffolding itself,
> you want verbosity.

Yep, and it's important for buildfarm logs to capture the verbose output.

> An entirely different big-picture point is "what the heck are we
> doing using a shell script here at all? It is useless for testing
> on Windows". Somebody should look into rewriting it in Perl,
> perhaps using the facilities of PostgresNode.pm.

The pg_upgrade test suite originated in an age when "make check-world" was
forbidden to depend on Perl; the choice was a shell script or a C program. We
do maintain vcregress.pl:upgradecheck(), a Windows-specific Perl port of the
suite. Maintaining both versions has been tedious. I'd welcome a
high-quality rewrite using src/test/perl facilities.