Re: background sessions

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Andrew Borodin <amborodin(at)acm(dot)org>, amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: background sessions
Date: 2017-03-11 15:11:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

com>:

> On 3/8/17 14:22, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> > 1. will be background session process closed automatically when parent
> > process is closed?
>
> If the communications queue goes away the process will eventually die.
> This is similar to how a backend process will eventually die if the
> client goes away. Some more testing would be good here.

what means "eventually die"?

I called pg_sleep() in called subprocess.

Cancel, terminating parent process has not any effect. It is maybe
artificial test.

Little bit more realistic - waiting on table lock in background worker was
successful - and when parent was cancelled, then worker process was
destroyed too.

But when parent was terminated, then background worker process continued.

What is worse - the background worker had 100% CPU and I had to restart
notebook.

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.foo()
RETURNS void
LANGUAGE plpythonu
AS $function$
with plpy.BackgroundSession() as a:
a.execute('update foo2 set a = 30')
a.execute('insert into foo2 values(10)')
$function$
postgres=#

I blocked foo2 in another session.

Regards