Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Tim Perdue <tperdue(at)valinux(dot)com>
Cc: Benjamin Adida <ben(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres
Date: 2000-07-05 16:03:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Yes I'm sure that PHP was designed to make Postgres look bad. All
> benchmarks are designed to make postgres look bad. All web designers
> build everything in just that special way that makes postgres look bad,
> and they all do it because they're inept and stupid, unlike the small
> crowd of postgres users.

Another happy customer... ;)

Tim, one of the apparent "discriminators" between typical MySQL users
and typical Postgres users is their perception of the importance of
transactions and its relevance in application design.

For myself, coming from other commercial databases and having built
large data handling systems using those, doing without transactions is
difficult to accept. And we'd like for others to see the light too.
Hopefully the light will be a bit closer soon, since, apparently,
transactions are coming to the MySQL feature set.

You mentioned a speed difference in Postgres vs MySQL. The anecdotal
reports are quite often in this direction, but we typically see
comparable or better performance with Postgres when we actually look at
the app or benchmark. Would it be possible to see the test case and to
reproduce it here?

Regards.

- Thomas