Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres

From: Constantin Teodorescu <teo(at)flex(dot)ro>
To: Tim Perdue <tperdue(at)valinux(dot)com>
Cc: Benjamin Adida <ben(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres
Date: 2000-07-05 16:04:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tim Perdue wrote:

> Yes I'm sure that PHP was designed to make Postgres look bad. All
> benchmarks are designed to make postgres look bad. All web designers
> build everything in just that special way that makes postgres look bad,
> and they all do it because they're inept and stupid, unlike the small
> crowd of postgres users.

Tim, don't be so upset.

I'm not an english fluently speaker so I hope I can make myself clearly
understood.
Noone wants you to write a good article for PostgreSQL just because they
are developing PostgreSQL.
Noone hates MySQL.
Noone tries to make PostgreSQL look better as it is. We don't sell it
:-)
It's just a couple of things that are important in database benchmarks
and the PostgreSQL developers knows them better.
That's why I consider that you have done a good thing telling us about
your article and I sincerely hope that you don't feel sorry for that.
I agree with you that they were some replies to your message rather ...
violent I can say.
Definitely, MySQL and PostgreSQL has their own application preferences
and they are making a good job each of them.
It's so difficult to compare them as it would be comparing two cars
(theyu have 4 wheels, 4 doors, an engine) and we could pick for example
the VW Beetle and a Mercedes A-class.

So, I would say to write your article about using MySQL or PostgreSQL on
PHP applications and let other know your results. Now, when MySQL is
GPL, it's a good thing to make such a comparisson. But please, don't pe
angry and upset on the PostgreSQL developers and community. They just
tried to give a hand of help revealing some important features of
PostgreSQL.

hope it helps,
Best regards,
Constantin Teodorescu