Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres

From: Benjamin Adida <ben(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tim Perdue <tperdue(at)valinux(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Article on MySQL vs. Postgres
Date: 2000-07-05 15:56:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

on 7/5/00 11:37 AM, Tim Perdue at tperdue(at)valinux(dot)com wrote:

> ...useless rant about all MySQL users being stupid inept programmers
> deleted....

Hmmm, okay, well, I guess my invitation to continue the conversation while
admitting a difference in assumptions is declined. Yes, my response was
harsh, but harsh on MySQL. I didn't attack MySQL programmers. I attacked the
product.

Is there a way to do this without incurring the wrath of MySQL users? If you
look at the Postgres mailing list, your worries (the duplicate key thing)
were addressed immediately by Postgres programmers, because they (the
Postgres team, which *doesn't* include me) understand the need to improve
the product.

And no, benchmarks aren't built to make Postgres look bad. But PHP is built
around an inefficient connection pooling system, which doesn't appear much
under MySQL because MySQL has extremely fast connection setup, while every
other RDBMS on the market (Oracle, Sybase, Informix, Postgres) does not.
That's the cost of setting up a transaction environment, it takes a bit of
time. Thus, PHP's pconnect() crushes performance on all databases except
MySQL.

But anyhow, I've clearly hit a nerve. You asked a question, I answered
truthfully, honestly, and logically. And you're absolutely right that I come
out strongly against MySQL. Proceed with this information as you see fit...

-Ben