Re: ODBC Stuff

From: Mark Dalphin <mdalphin(at)amgen(dot)com>
To: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)altoplanos(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ODBC Stuff
Date: 2000-04-27 17:53:55
Lists: pgsql-general

I don't see why you need ODBC. For example, we use the Perl DBI::DBD modules to
communicate over TCP/IP to our DB servers (PostgreSQL and Oracle) from NT
boxes. It seems clean, easy and tidy.

For example, a programmer here with ZERO Perl experience, bought and read the
"Learning Perl" book, installed the ActiveState Perl and the DBI::DBD modules
and wrote a deamon to query an Oracle DB and serve up the returned DNA sequences
to other machines on the network. The work from start to finish, including
learning Perl, took less than two weeks. (The deamon's job is to eliminate the
large time delay in making Oracle connections; by keeping the connections open
and using them when required, it can send out DNA sequences much faster than
individual programs making the same request.).

For more information on the Perl DBI interface, see:
http://www.symbolstone.org/technology/perl/DBI/index.html

Good Luck,
Mark

--
Mark Dalphin email: mdalphin(at)amgen(dot)com
Mail Stop: 29-2-A phone: +1-805-447-4951 (work)