ODBC Stuff

From: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)altoplanos(dot)net>
To: "PostgreSQL::General List" <pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: ODBC Stuff
Date: 2000-04-27 14:55:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Sorry to ask this as I'm sure it's passed throught here but I'm also sure
I just looked at the messages briefly and then deleted them becuase I
didn't think I'd ever need the information.

I'm working on a program that will run on a MS Windows platform and I
want it to use a database (PostreSQL) on a Linux box. From the research
I've been doing I get the impression that ODBC is the preferred, if not
the only, method to do this. So I'm hoping someone can point me at some
simple steps (they don't have to be too detailed) on getting a MS Windows
application to talk to a PostgreSQL database across a network.

I've made a couple of passes over the unixODBC site and came away with
a much better understanding but just gave up on the MS (ODBC) site since
it looked like more of an advertisement than an information site.

The application is being written in perl (ActiveState) and compiled
with perl2exe to make the installation impact (not a full perl
installation) on the Windows systems a little lighter.

Any and all pointers apprciated,
Rod
--
Roderick A. Anderson
raanders(at)altoplanos(dot)net Altoplanos Information Systems, Inc.