Re: ODBC Stuff

From: "Roderick A(dot) Anderson" <raanders(at)altoplanos(dot)net>
To: "PostgreSQL::General List" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ODBC Stuff
Date: 2000-04-27 21:57:37
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 27 Apr 2000, Mark Dalphin wrote:

> I don't see why you need ODBC. For example, we use the Perl DBI::DBD modules to
> communicate over TCP/IP to our DB servers (PostgreSQL and Oracle) from NT
> boxes. It seems clean, easy and tidy.

OOPS, a little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing. I was assuming a
ODBC Windows thingy was needed. I do seem to remember vaguely a
discussion in the Perl DBI book about performance, ease of interface, etc.
between ODBC, DBI, (and I think DBI::DBD::ODBC). I'll have to look
tonight.

Thanks to all that offered suggestions. My preference is the perl-way so
I'll give it a spin. There is another project coming up that will require
ODBC (I think) to pull data out of an ACCESS database and get it into
PostgreSQL so this will be helpful later.

Again thanks to all,
Rod
--
Roderick A. Anderson
raanders(at)altoplanos(dot)net Altoplanos Information Systems, Inc.