Re: [GENERAL] Re: server hardware recommendations

From: Sevo Stille <sevo(at)ip23(dot)net>
To: Marc Tardif <admin(at)wtbwts(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Re: server hardware recommendations
Date: 2000-01-26 10:41:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Marc Tardif wrote:

> Now I'm back to square one, looking for a storage solution for my
> postgresql db. More specifically, something scallable and very fast. In my
> of hardware raid out there. But the question remains, how can all this be
> scallable, ie how can I expand on existing storage space.

Well, Linux and *BSD are still lacking robust implementations of logical
volumes. Things probably will change in the near future, as SGI is
already porting XFS to Linux. With SGI moving towards a Linux platform
for its low-end servers, XLV (the logical volumes layered on top of XFS)
are bound to arrive there as well, sooner or later.

Sevo

--
Sevo Stille
sevo(at)ip23(dot)net